Explore our range of Halogen Lamps today at Any-Lamp! Order now for low prices and great discounts on large orders! Fast shipping and dispatch within 24 hours!
What is Halogen bulb and Advantages
Unlike incandescent lamps, halogen bulbs use a different type of gas which has a small amount of halogen added. This compound creates a constantly intense light which is also more efficient, and has a longer lifetime.
The ‘halogen cycle’ also prevents the blackening of your bulb (which is common with incandescent) so you will always benefit from bright, sparkling light.
- The light colour provided by halogen is a warm white which makes it ideal for a relaxed, cosy atmosphere.
- One of the main advantages of halogen bulbs is the high colour rendering index (90-100Ra). This means that your colours will appear exactly as they should in the light. Most bulbs also contain a UV block which prevents the discolouration of your items.
- These bulbs are consequently ideal for use in shops and galleries as they highlight the products without damaging them.
- All halogen bulbs at Any-Lamp are dimmable therefore you can easily install them into your current fixtures.
Our Halogen range consists a variety of products from leading brands such as Philips, Osram and Sylvania.
How to choose
When choosing your halogen bulb it is important to take note of the socket fitting. This must stay the same otherwise your new bulb will not fit into your current fixtures.
You should also consider the shape of the bulb. Our halogen range has a variety of shaped bulbs so it is important that you choose one that will fit your current fixtures and sockets.
The most common shapes are
- Reflector: If your bulb has a reflector it is important to note which type the reflector is.
Aluminium coated reflectors – These are recommended for ceiling lighting as they radiate heat from the front so that the rear does not get too hot in the fixture/ ceiling panel. E.g Osram Decostar 51 ALU
Switch to LED?
Compared to halogen bulbs, LED bulbs have many more advantages such as;
- Higher efficiency – 80% energy savings compared to halogen
- Significantly longer lifetime – Between 10,000 and 50,000 hours
- No use of chemicals
Most halogen bulbs can be directly replaced with LED so make the change today!
To find which LED equivalent you need, simply divide the wattage of your current halogen bulb by 5.
When replacing your halogen bulbs with an LED alternative, it is important that the socket fitting is the same otherwise it will not fit into your current fixtures. You should also ensure that the wattage is compatible with your fixtures.
Please note that if the voltage is 12v, then you will require a transformer - Osram HTM Halotronic
How to install and replace?
When removing your halogen bulb, it is very important that you do not touch it with your bare hand as it will be incredibly hot! Please wait until it has cooled down or use a cloth.
Also ensure that the lights are switched off before touching the bulb.
Halogen bulbs are incredibly easy to install.
- E27 & E14 - simply unscrew/ screw in the new one.
- GU5.3, G4, G9 & G53 - pull out/ push in the new one in.
- GU10 - twist and pull / push in and twist.
If your bulb still does not work after it has been replaced, check that the bulb is the correct wattage and voltage. If not, then it is possible that your transformer or ballast is faulty.